Thursday, March 5, 2015

Release of the Day: Cherubs - 2 Ynfynyty

I was two years old when the first Cherubs record came out. At the time, my music taste was pretty underdeveloped, though I enjoyed Rafi's "Baby Beluga" and Joanie Bartels' Lullaby Magic. By the time their sophomore album Heroin Man came out, I had become a fan of Peter Cetera's solo work and audiobooks of Bible stories. Fast forward twenty-one years and Cherubs' fourth album 2 Ynfynyty is out, my favorite record so far of 2015 is by a band called Rectal Hygienics, and I've been living in and out of hotels and motels in the Miami-Dade metropolitan area. Things change.


Cherubs began as a noise rock band out of Austin, TX in the early 90s, before Rusted Shut but after Scratch Acid, sounding like a dying housecat trying to get away from a wayward kitchen knife atop a decaying construction site. Though the band was no stranger to switching up vocalists, the warbled, pained moans of Kevin Whitley are front and center on 2 Ynfynyty, bolstered by the familiar, heavy miasma of a finely-tuned filth-pumping engine. What surprises me the most is how clear everything sounds, but I shouldn't be surprised as it was produced by Mike McCarthy (dude produced Spoon & ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead) and mastered by Howie Weinberg (Slayer, Nirvana). There have been rumors about this record for a long time and now it's here for your streaming, buying, listening, whimpering-in-a-corner pleasure on Brutal Panda Records.

But why read what I have to say when you can stream it for free below?

No comments:

Post a Comment