Thursday, October 16, 2014

Release of the Day: Institute - Salt EP

If you've paid any attention to my blog, you know that one of the bands (if not the band) that has had the biggest "Holy Shit" effect on me this year has been Institute. I've written about two other releases from this year so why the fuck not write about their third release, which happens to be on Sacred Bones Records? The Salt EP is a step up in production, at least from their demo, and another step down in intelligible lyrics, which is fine by me. You get the sense of impending, demented nihilism from Moses' delivery though without a lyric sheet in hand, it is hard to know exactly what he's saying through palsied dribble.

I really wanted to be the first interview with this band, but Jane Chardiet beat me to it, who succeeds wonderfully in her piece, which is a great place to learn more about the band. I'm still holding out for an interview of my own, if anyone from Institute is reading this.

Salt contains my favorite Institute song, " Familiar Stranger," which has this sinister, snaking lead guitar take control of the song. I remember the first time I heard it, which was in a basement in NWI before Destruction Unit played and being fucking floored by how good it was. It hasn't had an official studio release until now, though it's on their live tape, which can be seen in full on this YouTube video. This video has a couple of songs that make their way on Salt, including the title track.

This high-caliber release from a band emerging from gestation is high-profile though, and could easily propel them out of DIY spaces. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on their own headlining tour soon, though I have a feeling that the best place to see Institute will always be in dusty, dark basements.

No comments:

Post a Comment