Friday, October 10, 2014

Release of the Day: Oozing Wound - Earth Suck

"Metal" as a culture can be liberating or extremely confining. So many metal bands talk about the same shit, which is fine for cheap kicks, but gets a little boring to me. And you can't fit into some subgenre if you don't do something perfectly right. Closed-minded musi-making just grates on my existence for some reason. A few months ago, I was explaining to Zack Weil how metal can be like a wart. There are two kinds of warts, kind of like stalagmites and stalactites, where one grows outwardly and one grows inwardly. I had this one for like two years that made it hurt when I walk because it was right on my big toe and it was growing inward so every time that I would take a step, it would just get pushed deeper into my toe and rattle on my bone. Anyway, that's what insular music experiences get you - a wart that is growing inwards. I eventually got that wart removed in case you were concerned and things are much better.

Anyway, the Ooze are wart-like, I guess, but they're also chill bros. Let's face it, though, "wart-like" ain't an insult, it's just a description, and it fits, but the Ooze is an externalizing wart that touches those that pass with pus and comedic pessimism. Take "Going Through the Motions Til I Die" for example: "Die, you can do it/Well, won't you give it a try/There's nothing to it, well/If you don't, you'll still die." It's like. Yeah, good point, true, lemme just finish this noose knot before I get back to you *lurch, creak, snap*.

That's the way it goes when you're the Wizard of Ooze. You embrace the ugly and the horrific. It's like laughing to keep from crying. "I can't wake up without my hippie speedball." It's over-the-top and absurd, but that's the fucking truth for some people. When I was reeling in addiction, I could go for almost a full week without eating, just sustaining on alcohol and stimulants. I ain't proud of it, but it's a familiar reality.

Sometimes absurdist humor is the best way to get through the bad times. Dope riffs ain't bad either, though.

Ooze on, you crazy diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment