Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Release of the Day: Human Particle - Place of Irony: Expectation and Memory

There's no such thing as a bad music genre. Generally what happens is that the most visible artists in a genre will ruin it for outsiders: someone will say "I like everything but country," where they mean "I actually like everything, but I really hate that Alan Jackson song about 9/11 where he admits to not being able to tell the difference between 'Iraq' and 'Iran' and because of that I won't listen to country." Even I've been at fault for at one time dismissing techno because of the proliferation of dubstep and EDM by soulless musicians only in it for capital gain. I personally have trouble with enjoying top 40 because I automatically think that the people who sing or perform are just talentless figureheads - the songwriting happens behind the scene by commissioned "hit-writers" and that sort of conversion from art to commodity just doesn't sit well with me. That's how mainstream electronica seems to me, and the reality is that every genre does the same thing.

So let's talk about Human Particle's Place of Irony: Expectation and Memory, the new 5-track album from the duo of John and Sam Bosson from Los Angeles. Human Particle makes atmospheric techno with an undercurrent of dark ambient. The dark ambient feel comes to me when I hear both the gently churning foundation of synthwork and the subtle reverb dotted throughout the cassette, but in terms of rhythm, this is techno. Unlike the gimmicky whirligigs of modern techno, though, Human Particle demonstrates its expertise in tasteful minimalism. You won't hear unnecessary soundbytes and over-the-top sirens, which is more than a little welcome if you ask me. It's straightforward, engaging, and dance-worthy.

This cassette is one out of five in a recent batch from Ascetic House and I picked it up from the gang the last time they were through Chicago. Your best bet now if you want a cassette is probably to order a distributed copy from Chondritic Sound. If you've liked the more techno-influenced stuff out of Ascetic House like Jock Club, Soren, Memoryman, or Deep Pill, you'll like this for sure.

Here's a full stream!

2 comments:

  1. I personally have a problem with enjoying top 40 because I automatically feel that the people who sing or perform are merely talentless figureheads - the songwriting comes about behind the scene by commissioned "hit-writers" knowning that sort of conversion from art work to commodity just doesn't sit well when camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the deep ambient look and feel arrives to others pictures discover both casually churning makeup foundation about synthwork and therefore the fine reverb speckled within the cassette, still in the case of tempo, this is exactly techno.

    ReplyDelete